What are the effects of Lasik eye surgery?
The full form is Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis(Lasik). It is a laser eye surgery used to treat refractive errors. It is surgery to correct the refractive error of your eye. This surgery completely changes the shape of the Cornea of your eye and makes your vision better.
What is Lasik Eye Surgery?
If you have any one of the following conditions, you must undergo Lasik Surgery. The four significant disorders of refractive index are Myopia, Hyperopia, Astigmatism and Presbyopia. The success rate of LASIK surgery is 96%. The failure rate of this surgery lies between 2 to 3 percent. But the Failure rate is infrequent.
Procedure Of Lasik Eye Surgery
Lasik eye surgery is performed at a laser centre. You need not go to the Hospital for this procedure. First, ophthalmologists undergo an overall eye checkup. Then to cross-check you as an eligible candidate for the surgery, they experience the measurements of the pupil and Cornea. Your refractive error should be measured. Then a mild sedative and eye drops are applied, respectively. After that, surgery is done with the help of a Lasik machine.
Timing: It takes less than 30 minutes.
Eligibility to go Through LASIK eye surgery
- You must be 18 years old.
- Your Cornea needs to be healthy.
- Your Refractive error must be treated with LASIK treatment.
Candidates who are not eligible to go through the operation
Persons with the following characteristics are not eligible for Lasik surgery. For Example Person with Cone shaped Cornea or thin shaped Cornea. A person has a high percentage of Diabetes, Certain eye infections, and Unstable Refractive errors.
Long Term effects of Lasik surgery:
- You can get more precise and better vision: After the surgery, you can see things clearly from near and far. After a survey, it is clear that more than 90 percent of people going through the surgery get 20/20 vision.
- Spectacles free eye every time: It eliminates the dependency upon the spectacles. The next day after the surgery, it shows its impact on your vision. The surgery provides immediate results.
- It corrects your vision: There are some cases in which you have some problems with contact lenses. So, the surgery is excellent for you.
- Permanent solution: It is the permanent solution for patients having refractive errors with a painless experience. No risk is involved here. Over 97% of people are satisfied with their correct vision.
- Statistics of LASIK: Lasik Surgery was approved by the Food and Drug Administration(FDA) in 1999. According to data from previous years, 5,00,000 to 6,00,000 surgeries are done within a year.
- Cost is low according to the surgery and its impact: Lasik Surgery costs between 30,000 – 80,000 for both eyes. The price can be extended up to 1 lakh depending upon various sectors. Then the additional cost of the procedure ranges from 7000-10,000 can be added.
Side effects of Lasik Surgery
The side effects of Lasik surgery are rare but may happen; examples are,
- Dry eye: it is the most common effect seen after the surgery. It might cause eye infection or redness in the eye. Scratchy eyes are also a symptom of it.
- Double vision: Also called ghosting. Sometimes it may be caused because of the surgery.
- These are the two common complications that may be seen, i.e., Overcorrection and undercorrection.
- Irregular astigmatism: It may be seen if the curvature of the eye’s surface is not found in its shape.
- Flap complications may be seen.
Safety Rate is 100%.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS(FAQS)
- What age is good for Lasik surgery?
Ans: between middle age, which is between 25 to 40.
- What is the most common complication in Lasik Surgery?
Ans: Overcorrection and under-correction are two common complications.
- What is the failure rate of LASIK surgery?
Ans: it is less than 1 percent.
- Is Lasik the best surgery to correct the Refractive index?
Ans: The answer is yes.
- Is Lasik surgery painful or not?
Ans: no, it is not painful.
- How many times do you go through the Lasik Procedure?
Ans: There is no limit to undergoing the Lasik procedure. You can experience it multiple times.